Sunday, June 7, 2009

First weekend in Berlin

Well - I think I am in love with Berlin

Saturday night I went with some class mates to the Berlin Staatsoper (State Opera). We saw the final performance of Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera (The Masked Ball). If you are under 30 you can purchace tickets 30 minutes before each performance for 13 Euro. It was amazing. The Tenor, Piotr Beczala, singing the main role of Riccardo was stunning - his phrasing was beautiful and his top register was so exciting. The rest of the cast was great too- the Baritone sang well but his acting, unfortunatly, was a little overdone and one dimensional.

Before going to the opera I went and checked out the Pergamon Museum. It is worth the price of admission along to check out the Pergamon Alter - it gave me goosebumps when I saw it. It also houses a huge section of Islamic art and Greek and Roman art from up to 700BC.

Today I went to the Jüdiche Museum (Jewish Museum) which is housed in a very interesting building designed by Daniel Libeskind. The shape of the building is reminiscent of a deconstructed Star of David and houses many exhibits from all aspects of Jewish History. The holocaust section was particularly powerful but the three spaces which captivated me the most were the Holocaust Tower , the Shalechet (Fallen Leaves) and the Garden of Exile - Check out the link above for a description.

I am limping quite badly now due to my blister on my foot but i'm determined not to let it stop me. My bike should arrive on Tuesday so I can give my feet a little rest after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment