Sunday, November 1, 2009

Autumn days and separate doonas


It is well and truly Autumn here now. The park near our house is quite pretty with lots of trees in various shades of yellow, orange and brown and with a carpet of leaves on the ground which makes me want to be 5 yrs old again so I don't get such weird looks when I run through piles of leaves squealing with delight. I have realised that the average temperature at the moment is colder than I am used to in the dead of Sydney winter and I am quietly nervous about my first German winter.

When Char arrived in Germany we went out and bought a new Doona as the only one in the apartment when I moved in was a single (although they don't use the single/queen/king system here!). We bought the largest size, as recommended by our helpful shop assistant due to my length. Imagine our surprise when we got home and it was not much bigger than the single doona it was to replace! I guess that people here sleep with individual Doonas. We gave it a crack and I have to say that I LOVE IT! Those midsleep battles for the doona are now a thing of the past and I can also drag my doona out to the couch for some late nights watching the Sopranos while Charmaine gets her sleep before her early start at language school.

Today we went for a nice bike ride along the Rhein and stopped to take some photos in a nice park that we passed that had ducks in a what was either a large pond or a small lake. And as I write this we are patiently waiting for our oven to do its business with a chicken we introduced it to earlier........mmmmmmm sunday roast!

Yum - still, its never the same as Mums is it?

1 comment:

  1. Steven and I always have separate doonas after discovering this in Germany. It's the way forward.

    ReplyDelete